2022 Music Review
I mostly use Spotify to listen to music and Last.fm to track (almost) all of my listening. Last.fm is connected to Spotify, my phone, AV receiver, and my browser. In recent years it seems to have got worse about duplicate detection so my Last.fm play counts are definitely exaggerated to some degree. I do play music on vinyl and even CD from time-to-time, but don't bother scrobbling these plays.
⭐ Favourite 10 Albums
My favourite albums of the year were:
- Blue Rev by Alvvays
- Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You by Big Thief
- Skinty Fia by Fontaines D.C.
- Classic Objects by Jenny Hval
- PAINLESS by Nilüfer Yanya
- 11:11 by Pinegrove
- I Walked With You A Ways by Plains
- Poster Paints by Poster Paints
- A Light for Attracting Attention by The Smile
- And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow by Weyes Blood
🎸 Last.fm Top Charts
My top 10 albums by Last.fm play count were:
- Blue Rev by Alvvays (246 plays)
- Shore by Fleet Foxes (223 plays)
- Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You by Big Thief (209 plays)
- How Long Do You Think It's Gonna Last? by Big Red Machine (198 plays)
- And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow by Weyes Blood (130 plays)
- I Don’t Live Here Anymore by The War on Drugs (122 plays)
- WE by Arcade Fire (120 plays)
- I Walked with You a Ways by Plains (120 plays)
- Poster Paints by Poster Paints (108 plays)
- Jubilee by Japanese Breakfast (107 plays)
My top 10 artists by Last.fm play count were:
- Fleet Foxes (386 plays)
- Big Thief (286 plays)
- Alvvays (264 plays)
- Dawes (245 plays)
- Big Red Machine (244 plays)
- Taylor Swift (203 plays)
- The War on Drugs (173 plays)
- Arcade Fire (168 plays)
- Midlake (157 plays)
- Soccer Mommy (148 plays)
I scrobbled a total of 14,981 tracks, on average more than 80% of all Last.fm users in 2022.
The only gig I went to was a special one; Fleet Foxes performing at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Their album Shore came out on the day of the autumn equinox in 2020, and was an important moment in a year that lacked much in the way of brightness. It almost immediately became one of my all time favourite albums and hearing the songs brought to life on stage was spellbinding.
Fleet Foxes have subsequently put up an entire recording of their concert on the waterfront in Boston from earlier in the same tour. It's well worth a watch.